Pit stop #1 Ogallala, Nebraska
Pit stop #2 Henderson, Nebraska
Starbucks pit stop. Who brings their dog into Starbucks? Of course it's a small little dog. People eat here. Stop. Or people could be allergic. Stop bringing your pets into indoor public places with food and beverage.
1:55pm central standard time. Oh my Omaha. The thunderstorm we are stuck in right now is ridiculous. Grey skies as far as the eye can see, rain falling like bricks, lightening bolts across the clouds and thunder that makes you say "wow I felt that one".
This was pre-storm. we decided that if we saw a tornado we would pull over immediately... To take a picture with it.
"If your chicken is delicious enough, you can hate whatever group you want" - rob in regards to chicken fil-a and gay rights ...
Driving for I don't even know how long. In the middle of Rob's second shift, we stopped at Cracker Barrel for lunch. Good decision. It started downpouring again while we were inside. Finally pass through Omaha, out of Nebraska and into Iowa.
Warm and sunny welcome from the people of Iowa... Or naw.
5:38pm (central time?) Robs throat is really hurting him, so we make it all the way to outside of Des Moines before we make a pit stop and switch. They sell alcohol in every single rest stop we've been at so far. Just casual convenient stores. Only with alcohol. Tempted to purchase and consume. Now we are sitting at an Urgent Care in the middle of Des Moines trying to get him fixed.
Mom just texted me telling us that there was a tornado in Denver and tornado warnings in Nebraska. Never have I ever been more glad to be in Iowa.
I have to be the worlds worst road trip partner. I always have to pee. At least once an hour. We only stop every 3 hours. So. Yeah.
I've discovered a new friend who likes to text me as much as I like to text them. And if you're reading this, I'm still not sick of you yet.
Bought myself a map of the country's interstates, so I'm gonna go map our route on it while I wait for rob in urgent care. I'm fooling around with the map and say to Rob "hmm look it's Des Moines" but I said it like "dezz moin-eez" and some lady from across the waiting room goes "it's pronounced Des Moines (deh moin)" and I almost laughed out loud. I'm thinking to my self, well yeah no shit. But instead all I let myself say was "I know"
6:32pm. Still waiting at urgent care. I just wanted to note that one of my favorite books, Paper Towns by John Green is becoming a movie, and it comes out July 24th. The excitement is real. Hopefully they call rob soon because we are burning daylight. Illinois by nightfall might not happen.
12:05am
Rob had strep throat. Classic. After 2 hours at urgent care and twenty minutes at CVS, we were at a fork in the road. Do we carry on to Illinois as planned and stay at a hotel, or do we call it an early nigh and stay in Des Moines, making up for lost time tomorrow. It was my turn to drive, so I drank my third redbull of the day and thought I was ready to go. Turns out my hard limit for redbulls per day is 2. Good to know. Had to stop at Wendy's. I felt like I had been drugged. Ate 10 nuggets. And a JCBD. Made rob drive for an hour while I recovered from high and crash. Crossed the Mississippi River, it was amazing. A little dark out, but the river was really wide, and the bridge was huge and green and had pretty architecture. There was a boat in the water with flashing rainbow lights all over it. It looked somewhat out of place, but also completely appropriate. I drove last 50 minute leg of the trip, and just as we were getting on each other's last nerve, we pulled into the hotel. Two full sized beds, one for each, and it's heavenly. It smells super clean and the bathroom is really nice.
I have to wake up at 5:30am and its 12am. Which means I'm wrapping this and posting it. By the time most of you read this Saturday morning, I will be hopefully somewhere close to Indiana.
I met a boy on my flight from Allentown if you recall, and he had this awesome app that requires gps but it tells you everywhere you've been in the world, as long as you set it to record.







