Thursday, October 24

Daylight

right in the feels
who doesn't love doggies and welcoming our troops home? I sure do. 'Murica.

I think this post is going to be a happy one. 


I like the taste of peppermint altoids in my mouth and pomegranate carmex on my lips while drinking a bottle of smart water. minty, sweet, cool, and tart. but I only do this while driving in my car. It's a smooth taste, like the road under my tires.

I like when you make it home just in time to catch the show you wanted to watch that night, making DVR feel obsolete, and you, triumphant.

I like when you grab the exact amount of hangers you need to hang up your laundry. it makes me feel like I could win the jackpot in vegas if I wasn't trying to.

I like opening to the correct page of a book on the first try. It makes me feel like a psychic.

My favorite smell in the entire world is Dryer exhaust. The vent that comes out of your laundry room that's connected to the dryer. Some people say "oh you mean the smell of laundry?" No I don't mean the smell of laundry. If I did, I would have said "my favorite smell in the entire world is laundry". but I didn't. Because people use all different dryer sheets and detergents and fabric softeners, yet somehow whenever I smell dryer exhaust while walking past a building, it smells the same. Smells like bliss.

I like stopping the microwave before the alarm goes off. and yes, when I say alarm, I mean it. It's like a fire siren in high school.

I like when somebody walks into a room and you can smell their cologne or perfume, and it fills you up with water balloons and confetti and pumpkin pie and laser tag and department stores with tile floors and pretty saleswomen, instead of making you want to puke. There's something about department stores that always made me anxious and comfortable at the same time. Anxious because I always felt like there were too many things to look at at one time, and comfortable because when I was little, and they used to have those HUGE round racks of clothes everywhere, I used to hide underneath them until it was time to go. There's something about hiding that makes children feel incredibly safe. Hiding under the sheets from the monsters in the closet and under the bed. Hide and go seek. Because being exposed is such a powerful feeling. Knowing that someone can see you from 360 degrees. If someone is behind you, you have to turn around, leaving the place you were just looking to be unlooked. But when you're behind something, well, you don't have to worry about that. You can see without being seen.

I like when someone you just meet hugs you when it's time to depart. it makes me feel closer to them than people I've known for a while.

I use happy songs as my alarm clock so I can wake up and be cheerful. I lie in bed and listen to the whole song, and it actually wants me to get up in the morning (mind you, this was when I needed an alarm.. for school). I used songs like Daylight by Matt and Kim and It's Time by Imagine Dragons

I like when a song brings you back to a moment in time. You hear it and the lyrics and the notes and the melody surround you, and then sucks you up into a vacuum into the past, and even if only for a moment, however fleeting that feeling is, it's kind of like magic.

I like taking walks in the fall, stepping on as many leaves as I can listening to them crunch, somehow it makes me feel like I'm alive and present in the world, one footstep at a time.

I like sunny days, as much as I like rainy days, especially when they cooperate with my plans. Or even if they don't. If a rainy day turns your beach day into a board game afternoon, sometimes it's just what you needed.

I like airports and hotels. There are so many different compartments and nobody is ever there for an extended period of time (if they can help it). The population of them is constantly changing. They remind me of family vacations to Disney World. Disney holds a special place in my heart, and my older brother loves it even more than I do. There's something about late Florida nights with a warm breeze on your skin as you sit on the pavement watching fireworks to the sound of oh-so-familiar Disney songs, leaving your mouth ajar in awe, and you wondering how something could ever be so beautiful.

I love moments that make you want to hold on to them forever. Just close your eyes, clench your fists as tight as you can, have someone sprinkle some pixie dust or something, and hold onto it for as long as you can. You never realize the importance of a moment until it becomes a memory. 

I like the smell of indoor chlorine pools. Although, not so much unkempt public pools or kiddie pools, because they mostly smell of pee. I'm talking about when you're in the gym or the hotel and you walk past the pool area, that chlorine, wet, sparkling smell, that makes you want to rip all your clothes off and dive right in.

I like when the leaves change, and then its Halloween. Halloween means carving pumpkins and wearing scarves and hoodies and sweaters and boots and jeans. and roasting pumpkin seeds.                      Then there's Thanksgiving. Although it's only a USA holiday, I wish everybody could just celebrate it anyway. I know my friends in scotland do ;) To me it is a big feast with little to extended family, watching football, friendly banter, and warmth. Warmth and love. It doesn't matter where you spend thanksgiving, as long as your stomach is full, you're with people you love and you're watching football (and at least half of the family is drunk) then it's a successful holiday. Onwards to Christmas. I'm not sure what's better, the countdown to Christmas, and all the built up anticipation, Christmas eve where even at 18 last year, I still could not fall asleep without waking up every hour on the hour until it was a decent enough time to wake everybody up. One time I woke up at 12:30am, ran downstairs to see presents, and woke up my parents up telling them that Santa came. They were so unenthused because of how early in the morning it was. I don't even think it's the presents that keep me from sleeping. Maybe it's Christmas morning that's the best part. I love sitting around passing presents to each other, smelling cookies freshly baked, whatever breakfast mom made, wearing our annual christmas pajamas (the one present we get to open early.. yes mom I still want them). I have been doing this since I could remember, when I open my gifts, if I get something that is meant to be worn, I wear it. and by the end, I'm fully decked out in my christmas gear. my christmas suit, if you will. And then once all of the presents are open and breakfast is made, eaten, and put away, we all settle in, tinkering with our new toys, setting up our new gadgets, and making sure all of our friends know exactly what we got. Maybe it's the combination of all of it, starting the day after thanksgiving, when the Michael Buble christmas album and Trans-Siberian Orchestra are the only CDs playing throughout the house. Mostly all of the other holidays can suck it.. Valentine's day, Easter, even New Years. All are Sub Par compared to these three. Except Fourth of July. Independence day is just a day of sheer American nonsense. and celebrating our country's birthday.


**no pictures were provided for any of these things because I was hoping that you had your own visions in your head that you could watch while you read it**

It's funny how many little, and big, things can make us happy, as long as we take the  time to notice them for what they are. The little things are what count the most in my book. I'm a nerd for quirky little details, I'm drawn to them. Like handshakes and signatures and eye contact and messy beds and made beds and the steam combined with sunlight peeking in from the blinds in a bathroom of a hot shower and the little bit of a jolt you get when you think you're about to hit something on your bike/car/while walking and soft hands with nice clean nails and a well kept garden and a child who knows manners and someone holding a door for you or a stranger and so many other things.

 I hope for your sake that this many things make you happy too. This blog is being typed at midnight tonight, but will not be posted until tomorrow after noon, after my long overdue dentist appointment. So since you're reading this right now, it must be full of everything I want it to be, and I must be back from the dentist.

Beautiful, wonderful, cavity-free teeth, as per usual. I've had teeth for like 19 years, not one cavity. although they did say flossing more and mouth wash wouldn't kill me.
Everytime I go to the dentist it's always full of old people. Getting old must suck. losing all of your teeth and such.

cute and funny song about teeth.