Thursday, October 3

Girl from the North Country

Boy has it been a day.

Anyone like to take a guess on what time I went to sleep last night? Well. If you were to say 3:15 AM, you would be correct. Something about falling asleep just comes so hard to me. Even with my nightly glass of milk and perusing of the internet, I still couldn't find relief. Alarm goes off at 4:40 AM. Snooze. 4:49, time to get up. I always use songs as my alarm clock. There is just something about waking up to music that makes it that much more bearable. Had some yummy cereal for breakfast, waited for mom, packed up the car swiftly and was outie. First stop was gas. just a quickie. Off to Dunkin Donuts. Tea with milk and sugar for me, and a crappy cup of coffee for mom. You would think that at 6am a Coffee store would make decent coffee in the morning. It just tasted like burnt coffee and bad milk. The drive to Newark was a good one. I think I'm a morning person, once I wake up and get going. We were blasting songs and belting them the whole drive. matchbox 20 and dashboard confessional just to name a couple. We kept trying to get in touch with Grandma, because we were supposed to be meeting her at the airport but she wasn't answering. Considering she is a bit controlling and likes to know what everyone is doing and likes making sure they're doing it the way she wants them to, we were very surprised she wasn't answering the phone. Finally she calls back. Where were you! what happened!? "Oh. I couldn't find my phone. It was somewhere in my bag in my car. I could hear it but I didn't know what it was" .. cool grandma. Not like we were meeting you or anything. After getting in touch with Grandma, we were close to Newark and saw the prettiest sky. The moon was a little teeny tiny sliver.
Apparently Venus was there too but I didn't see it. Found parking, found Grandma, got on a bus, headed to Terminal C. Curbside check-in for the win. Off to security. Quick and easy just how I like it. Found the gate, ironic we're next to a flight to Cancun. If only they got switched. Bought a smoothie from jamba juice at the gate, mom and grandma got coffee, and we boarded the plane just in time. I HAVE TO PEE. Immediately before we even start taxiing, I'm peeing. Mind you, I haven't slept at all yet, and I'm running off of an hour's sleep, it would be smart of me to sleep on the plane. nope. not a chance. spend most of my time making bracelets, accidentally flinging rubber bands at unsuspecting strangers. sorry not sorry. Then we played pass and play Scrabble on Grandma's ipad. It's hard living in a competitive family who's really good at scrabble. I didn't stand a chance. When my mom was a kid, her friend fell out of a tree and broke his arm, and my grandma and my mom's friend's mom refused to take him to the hospital because they were in the middle of a Scrabble game. That's the kind of background we have here.




Peed a total of three times on that plane ride. No shame. Landed and got off, finally. four hours later. Got on the wrong train to baggage claim, that one was my bad. WHOOPS. headed the right direction, we are quickly herded by Grandma to get our bags. "Go get them now!" but Grandma, it's a circle, they'll come back around if we just wait. "Just go get them it takes less time!" okay. yes. we will get them. On the bus to the rental car place no problem. Now the issue of picking a car. My grandma has this neat membership status where you just walk up to the lot and pick any car you want and drive away. There were tons of cute cars to pick. Ford Fusion, Chevy Impala, Chevy Malibu. Which one does my Grandmother pick? The Suburban. It's massive. Point one for Gram.
Weird shot of Denver Airport.
Mom packin up the burb. 

"MAAA. GET IN THE PICTUUUUURE"                                    There we go. 

Jams in the Car time. This one's for you momma.



As we get into Boulder we see loads of new developments going up, and we find ourselves with a quote of the day..

"It'd be hard to live out here cause they're all Commies"
-Grandma

Thanks for that one Gram. Good to know. Onward to Lunch. Finally. It's 12:30pm here, but on East coast time it's almost Three. So basically, we're. STARVING. We met Robbie at The Sink. It's been on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives for all of you Food Network lovers out there. So of course I had to get the Texas Straw Onion burger, featured on the show. OH. MY. WORD. Never have I ever had a burger this delicious in my whole life. 

Grass-fed beef, Jalapeno, onion straws, Provolone, Cheddar, Chipotle aioli sauce
Side of Amazeball Sweet Potato fries. MMMM. Okay, so not only did I eat ALL of my plate, I also ate every single one of my brothers sweet potato fries as well. and I was ready for more. It's like I have four stomachs. 

Smile! oh..

A bit better. hi robbie.

more pictures from the restaurant, because it was so cool.
Okay so each table in the place has a different theme of pictures, and our's was when President Obama visited. This picture was particularly funny.

Panorama from the table. 

"Hey Babe, You're Mint" 

He's just a stud. 

Off for a lovely walk to the bookstore. GOODIES. Mom, Rob, and I all got sweatshirts, as well as buying one for Frankie (you're welcome). THEN. Grandma bought me yoga pants and a t-shirt. Gotta love vacations with family. YOFWO! You only family weekend once. Bought a few gifts for the baby cousins we're seeing next week, Robbie is off to class, and we're off to our rental house.

The house was not what I was expecting at. all. It is about 4 blocks from Pearl Street. If anyone knows anything about anything, you know that pearl street is the place to be. Pictures will most definitely be posted tomorrow. anyway, We pull up to the house and there is a sketchy alleyway we have to pull into to park in the back. The house is three stories tall, and salmon colored, with scallop siding. There are overgrown trees and vines everywhere. The yard is full of abandoned bikes, garden hoses, and other miscellaneous things. I feel like a damn hippie. there is a wrap around front porch, and the land lord gave us directions to take the outside stairs up to the third floor where we are staying. The stairs are super steep and the railings are line with thick ivy. Mom found a grasshopper. We make our way in, and oh. my. god. However Hippie-like the outside is, is equivalent to how amazing it is on the inside. It is the cutest renovated third floor I have ever seen. The theme is triangle ceilings, skylights, and the 1950's. The kitchen has a pull out drawer fridge, There is a bed room, a bed on the floor, and a pull out couch in this cool, very open area. The bathroom is just the center of the room. It's a big square, in the center of the room. But it works, I dig it. 

Bookstore. I need this hat.

Bookstore

Bed on the floor which mom and I will share

Grandma in the kitchen

The view of the couch/sitting area from the bed on the floor

the doorway in the area between the couch area and floor bed

The view looking inside from the back porch


More bookstore pics

Mommmmyyyy
"Jesus freaks, out in the streets"
yeah. that happened. it was real. 

Finally, after an entire big day full of one hour's sleep, I crashed hard and long on the floor bed. I was out from like 4 to 9. Lovely. I was finally woken from my slumber by the sound of shattering glass. Grandma knocked a stemless wine glass onto the floor. whoops. They did however go to Whole Foods to stock up on a few groceries. Brought me home some Almond Milk, Brownies, and the best Chicken Noodle Soup I've ever had. "After I nap, I'll go exploring." And I did just that. Best discovery? 80 vinyl records and a record player. Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, and The Rolling stones were my top few that I found. Hence the Title Song for this post. So Grandma, Mom, and I lounged around and drank tea and listened to good music and played each other in Words with Friends from our respective iPads and iPhones. All in all, it was a wonderful first day of vacation

Pretty sweet if you ask me

Is it me or is that little girl's face SUPER creepy

oh. and there's a bathtub on our porch. and it's snowing out. 

Final thing..


Spoiler alert, the dog isn't really talking, its a voice recorded over it. Don't worry, I honestly thought the dog could talk for the first thirty seconds too. 
enjoy friends.